picture

picture

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cool Your Pipes!

Psalm 37: 8 
Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper - it only leads to harm. (NLT)

Psalm 37:8 
Bridle your anger, trash your wrath, cool your pipes - it only makes things worse. (The Message)

I find this verse in Psalm 37 to be an interesting one! As a Counselor I can't tell you how often I have heard people say, "He/she made me so angry that I threw ...... ; or I hit the wall; or I squealed my tires; or; or ; ". and if the truth be known I have blamed my anger on others over the years. However, I have learned in recent years that I am responsible for my own emotions, feelings, and attitudes. I CANNOT blame them on anyone else.

The first blame game of all time started way back in The Garden  when when Adam blamed Eve for his disobedience and then Eve blamed the serpent. always pointing the finger at someone else! WHOA! Has anything changed over the years? No it hasn't, and it won't until we take responsibility for all of it!

It is very interesting to me that the action words used in this verse are:
STOP
TURN
DO NOT LOSE
BRIDLE (YOUR)
TRASH (YOUR)
COOL (YOUR)
all of which are related to the individual doing something regarding their anger.
ANGER can be a very destructive emotion - if we allow it to be.

I am throwing this out there today to encourage you if this is a problem for you. God can help you to change your mind, your behavior, your attitude. You must surrender to Him!

James 1:19 says to be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to get angry; or as The Message says, "Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear."

Picture one of your children or maybe your spouse, or a friend straggling along as you take a walk. They are usually quite a few steps behind you.

So, Dear Friends, my suggestion for you today is to "cool your pipes and let your anger straddle along behind you". Have a grace-filled day!

Hugs...
Ruthie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!