picture

picture

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Circus Elephants

I read this story a few weeks ago and am feeling led to share it with you:

When circus elephants are still little and weak, they are chained to iron stakes in the ground, which prevent them from breaking free and running away. This allows their trainers to keep them close, work with them, and prepare them for their routines. What's strange is that even after the little elephants grow into huge powerful animals capable of lifting a ton or more with their trunks, they remain restricted by these same miniature stakes in the ground. Even when they are more than strong enough to yank the stake out of the ground and roam free, they don't do it. They don't even try. They remain limited by the old boundaries. Sometimes we demonstrate this type of helplessness as well. We focus on the little stake (or mistake) from our past and forget that, with God's help, we have the power to release whatever has been holding us back.

One day, after reading this story, I noticed that our little one year old, 4 pound Yorkie (Teddie) could have gotten free from his "room" (kennel) if he had but pushed on the door ... but he didn't do so. He is so used to being in there to sleep, or while we are out of the house, and not getting out until we let him out, that he didn't even try to move the door... which had not been latched properly. This has occurred a few times in the past weeks.

I began to wonder about myself.
Am I still bound by an old boundary or mistake or thought from the past?
Am I capable of pulling out the stake or shoving open the door - but because of old habits or old ways of thinking I am stuck? Or I think I am stuck?
Whoa!

What about you?
Can you relate to the elephants? or to Teddie?

Dear Father God,
Your Word tells us that we can do all things thru You who gives us strength! I pray, dear Lord, for myself and all who find themselves following in the footsteps of the elephants... Give us wisdom, Lord: give us Your strength, Lord - to break free - to live in the freedom Christ purchased for us on the Cross! Convict us, Father, of the "Stakes" we need to pull up - of the "doors" we need to push open! Then enable us to move in the direction You so want us to move in! I thank You, Father, for Your love, and Your grace.
In Jesus Name, Amen


Blessings on you, dear ones!
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!