picture

picture

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What’s In A Name?


Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine”
Isaiah 43:1

Wow! Has He summoned you by name – is He calling to you?

We all have many names –
our given name; a nickname; our children call us mom or dad;
nieces and nephews call us auntie or uncle;
grandchildren call us Grammie or Grampie (or some form of this) –
my dad was Bampie to my daughter –
and the list goes on......

Just the other day I was reading somewhere about a lady whose first name no one knew except her husband and her children....
she had NEVER used her first name – went by her second name.
e.g. her name was L. Helen ........ and she went by Helen ....
I wonder what the L. stood for?
Well, you can rest assured that God knows her name!

How important is your name to you?
Mine is pretty important to me! Anyone who knows me well knows that
I prefer to be called Ruthie – not Ruth.
My husband has a special nick-name for me and when he calls me by it
I know he’s feeling tender towards me.
Hearing my precious granddaughter say “Grammie” thrills my heart!

God summons us by name -
· John 10:3 tells us that He calls His own sheep by name and leads them out.
· 1 Samuel 3:10 tells us of God calling Samuel by name and
Samuel responding to His call.

Have you heard Him call your name?
You may sense Him using your earthly name; or speaking in your heart and communicating deep within your soul.
Oh, we know when He’s calling us.
Maybe He’s said something like,
“Hey girl! You did a great job! Thanks for doing that for me!”
OR
“Oh, Ruthie, Why do you fret so? Don’t you know I’ll look after that for you?
Give it to me!”

Did you know that when we get to heaven we’ll be given a new name?
Revelation 2:17b – “And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”
In the days of John – the writer of Revelation – a white stone was given to the victors in the Greek athletic games, or to the gladiators at the Roman games who had won the public’s admiration.

He will give us a VICTORS white stone and on it will be a name that He will give us!
How awesome is that?
How amazing it will be to hear Him speak my name face-to-face!
But for now, I’m quite happy to hear Him call me to be and to do.... for Him!

Have a wonderful day!
Remember, This IS the Day – maybe the day that you hear Him for the first time!
Surrender it all to Him!

Resting in HIM,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!