picture

picture

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Texting ETC.


We had an unexpected visit from a relative from another province a couple weeks ago. In the midst of our conversation he was texting his daughter who had stayed at home...
His attention was not on our visit;
And there were gaps in the conversation while he finished
what he was doing.

Just the other day I was listening to the radio
and heard an interview with a linguist and a teacher
regarding the prevalence of texting in our world today!
They say that it has not affected the English language –
but I wonder about that!
Also, they say that it hasn’t affected communication –
again, I wonder about that!

I began to think about the “language” involved in texting and went on-line; it was amazing what I found!
Pages of abbreviations, acronyms and emoticons to help one express themselves!

So – what is texting?
It is a shorthand form of communication.
I read that there are more than 1 billion text messages exchanged in North America daily.

I’ve used some of the more common ones for years as
I’m sure you have:
KISS – Keep It Short and Simple
TMI – Too Much Information
ASAP – As Soon As Possible
LOL – Laugh Out Loud
VIP – Very Important Person
?4U – Question For You

As a kid I used to sign notes SWAK – Sealed With a Kiss;
And we would say – MYOB – Mind Your Own Business.

And I would guess that we’ve all used this one!
XOXOXO – Hugs and Kisses.

Here’s a few more I’ve just learned:
TIAD – Tomorrow Is Another Day
DH – Dear Husband
DD – Dear Daughter
DS – Dear Son
YSIC – Your Sister In Christ

Here are some emoticons:
;) = Wink
:) = Happy Face
:( = Sad face
<3 = Sideways Heart
In order to communicate in this manner you need to know the “language”.

As I was reflecting on the visit we had; listening to this interview; and researching the whole phenomena, my spirit was quickened to give thanks to God that His Holy Word
does not need us to learn a whole new language
to understand it!

Praise God!

“Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will
remain forever.”
Matthew 24:35 (NLT)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.
John 1:1-2 (NKJV)

Every word of God is pure. (NKJV)
Every word of God proves true. (NLT)
Proverbs 30:5

His Word is unchanging ...
has been in existence before time began ...
it is powerful and true!

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
Psalm 119:105

It shines the way for us to take – the path of righteousness.

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Ephesians 6:17 (NKJV)

His Word is part of our armor – to help us in the spiritual battle with Satan.

?4u

Do you stand on His Word daily to help you through?
Do you “armor up” with all the armor – including His Word?
Have you hidden it in your heart? Do you meditate on it?
Does it fill your mind so that Satan can’t fill your mind
with his lies?
Is it the light that shines the way for every step you take?
Every decision / choice you make?

Dearest friends,
I pray that God’s Word has penetrated your heart and filled your mind in such a way that you can rest in, and on,
its truths for your life!
Fill your mind early today with His Word
use it to guide you as you enter the world to do whatever it is you will do today! to be whoever you will be today!
I pray His blessing to be upon you.

“The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.”
Numbers 6:24-26 (NKJV)

Resting in Him today,
YSIC - Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!