picture

picture

Monday, June 22, 2009

Does Jesus Know My Name?

I trust you all had a good weekend – spending time with your fathers / families. We had a guest at church this morning – Geoff Moore – a great Contemporary Christian singer. I am going to briefly relate a story he told us this morning...

He and his wife have adopted 2 little girls from China. One night he was reading a bedtime story to one of them and saying prayers with her before “tucking her in”. She asked him this question: “Daddy, when I was under the bridge in China did Jesus know my name?” (She had been abandoned and left under a bridge in a town in China and was found at the age of 1 day old.) Of course, he told her that Jesus knew her even before she was born.

Have you ever wondered .. OR .. Do you wonder now if Jesus knows your name?
Dear ones, HE Does!
He knows you intimately – even if you don’t know that or feel it!

Psalm 139 is entitled “God’s Perfect knowledge of Man” ...

Verses 13 – 16:
For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvellous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
You eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they were all written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

Awesome ... He knew me all about me - and you - before we were in the womb!

But – get this!
Psalm 147:4 tell us that He counts the stars and knows THEM by name! WOW!
He counts the number of the stars;
He calls them all by name.

In the both the Old and the New Testaments we read of God giving people NEW names because of their righteousness.... here are just a few examples...

Abram – Abraham ... Genesis 17:4-7
Sarai – Sarah ... Genesis 17:15-16
Jacob – Israel ... Genesis 32:28
Saul – Paul ... Acts 13:9 (Saul was his Jewish name; Paul was his Roman name)
WE – who are in Christ, will be given a new name! Revelation 2:17

Isaiah 62: 2, 4, –
The nations will see your righteousness, and all kings your glory; you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the LORD will bestow.
No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate.
But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah.

Hephzibah means “my delight is in her”; Beulah is symbolic for the heavenly Zion and means “bride” or “to be married”.

Isaiah 62: 12
They will be called the Holy People, the Redeemed of the LORD; and you will be called Sought After, the City No Longer Deserted.

You’re probably thinking “What does all this have to do with Jesus knowing my name?” Well! This is how my brain works! YES! He knows us by name – He knows every intimate part of us; He knows things about our inner being that we haven’t discovered yet! To me, that is incredible! It gives me Joy unspeakable!

He gave new names to people in the Bible .... has He given me – you - a new name? You betcha!!!

Princess!
Adopted child of Mine!
Heir!
Blessed!
Righteous!
Saved!
Forgiven!

Need I go one? Are these our names?
YAH!
I am - Forgiven Adopted Blessed Saved Princess Ruthie!
How about you?

Years ago I knew a little fellow who had been adopted... his parents couldn’t have any children so they decided to adopt. Very soon afterwards they became pregnant! He grew up knowing he was “chosen”... when people asked his name here is what he would say - “I’m John Smith, adopted.” Too cute!

Someday I will be given a NEW name – by my Heavenly Father! That amazes me! I hope it does you too! Dear ones, I pray you are keenly aware of how much God knows you and loves you! May you take that into your heart and live it out today!

Love And Peace to you today!
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!