picture

picture

Friday, August 8, 2008

The Song of the Brook


Have you had the privilege of sitting by a brook and hearing the sweet song it sends forth as the water runs over the rocks and moves towards the mouth of the brook?

I used to live on a property that had a brook on it that
ran from a distant lake to a large local river –
I would love to spend time by the brook and let its song
sooth my soul.

When we had a dry spell the song of the brook diminished
to a trickle –
When we had lots of rain or melted snow the song changed
to a faster - sometimes ferocious - melody.
When the amount of water was “just right” the song
was restful and peaceful.

Reflect on your song – your life –
What happens to your song when you have a “dry spell”?
When the storm hits with lots of “wind and
rain and melted snow”?
What about when all is “just right”?

One day I tried to change the course of the brook by
rearranging the rocks in its path.
I hadn’t done too much digging and rearranging
when I realized that I was tampering with God’s creation –

What was I thinking?
Who was I to think that I could “improve” on God’s creation?

Talk about a “light bulb moment”!

I put the rocks back where they had been and
gave the brook back to nature – back to God –
I sat back and thanked my God for showing me His truth
before I had destroyed the “song”.

How often do we try to “rearrange” things in our life?

Do we get in the way of God and try to “fix” His creation –
(me – us)
thinking we can do a better job at it than He has done so far?
I don’t know about you, but, at times I’m guilty of this.


How like our song – our life - is the song of the brook...
· One day gentle, peaceful, joyful
· The next day painful, tumultuous, angry.



Praise God –
He has given us a sweet song to sing –

Psalm 40:3
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.

Dear Father God,
May my heart – and my mouth –
be filled with praise to You –
even in the middle of a storm;
May I always realize that I am nothing without You;
May I know that every blessing I have comes from You;
No matter what life brings to me today
may my song be one of praise and thanksgiving,
to You, My Heavenly Father;
My Savior; My Rock; My Strength; My Redeemer.
Thank You for Your faithfulness, your promises, Your love.
In the precious name of Jesus,
Amen.


Dear Precious Reader –
I pray this for you as well – no matter what life brings
your way may your song be filled with sweetness;
with praise to God for His love for you.
Blessings to you this day!

Remember-

This is the day the LORD has made,
we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

Resting in HIM,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!