picture

picture

Monday, October 20, 2008

Blessings

BLESSINGS

The dictionary definition of blessing is “to bestow good upon”.
I found these words in a concordance -
“to make holy; to show favor to; to ask God to show favor to.”

One of my most favourite Scriptures is found in the book of Numbers: (called the Priestly Blessing)

“The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”
Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord had instructed Moses to tell Aaron and his sons that this was what they were to say to bless the Israelites.

I have recited these words when I have spoken to
graduating classes of Practical Nursing Students;
and other times as well.
I think these words are so beautiful!
Asking God to favor the recipient with
His presence, His grace, His peace.

Don’t we all want that in our lives?
I know I surely do!

I read a book a long time ago entitled
“The Blessing”
By Gary Smalley and John Trent, Ph.D

In this book they give some history of the
father blessing his children.
In Biblical times it was quite an event to receive the
father’s blessing!
I am reminded of this thru a Women’s Study I’m attending
at my church, where we have looked at Isaac and Rebekah –
the parents of Esau and Jacob.

Do you remember the story? It can be found in Genesis 25-28.

Jacob stole the blessing that was rightfully Esau’s
as the firstborn of the two sons.
When Esau found this out he cried aloud to his father,
“Bless me – me too, my father!”
(Genesis 27:34)

A little later he says to his father,
“Do you only have one blessing, my father?
Bless me too, my father!”
Then Esau wept aloud.
(Genesis 27:38)
My heart goes out to him!
Praise God!We have more than one blessing to bestow on
those we love!

Just the other day I was in conversation with 3 women who had not received the acceptance and affirmation they wished they could have had from their mothers!
That’s not to say they weren’t loved –
What it does say is that words were not spoken over them that affirmed them in their mother’s eyes…
Therefore they did not “feel” the love!
For all of us, this fact made us more conscious of speaking into the lives of our children and our grandchildren!
And also into the lives of our spouses!

A “Blessing” is a part of any relationship –
spouses, children, parents, siblings, friends –
AND –
the Word tells us to
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Romans 12:14

Here are the 5 elements of a blessing as mentioned by the authors of the book I just told you about:

1) Meaningful touch
2) A spoken message
3) Attaching “High Value” to the one being blessed
4) Picturing a special future for the one being blessed
5) An active commitment to fulfill the blessing

What are you thinking about right now?
When did you last bless your spouse, your children,
your grandchildren, your parents, your friends?

Your “enemies”?

Our words are so important – what we say and how we say it convey messages far beyond the actual words themselves!
May we be ever conscious of this fact!
And do as instructed in
James 1:19 - quick to listen, slow to speak,
slow to become angry
(my paraphrase)

Our granddaughter was born prematurely… 6 weeks early.
She was in the hospital for a time
before she could come home with her parents.
Seeing her in that incubator with all kinds of
gadgets attached to her was very hard –
not being able to hold her was awful!
I continually prayed God’s blessing upon her and her parents!
She will be 6 years old next month –
Praise God!
What a BLESSING she has been in our lives!

I particularly remember one time when I was all alone with her – after she had returned home and I was helping mom out…
I had her in my arms, was rocking her,
placed my hand on her head,
and prayed God’s special blessing on her life!
And I have continued to do that thru the years –

BUT-
What about our “enemies”?
How can we possibly bless them and not curse them?

Only thru the grace of God!
Only thru the salvation of Jesus Christ!
Only thru the power of the Holy Spirit in one’s life!
Praise God!
He instructs us – and He will enable us!
It is a choice we make to bless those who have hurt us!
To not retaliate; to decide not to hold the pain against them!

CHOICES!
That can only occur when one surrenders totally
and completely to Christ!

Thank You, Jesus, that You give the power to enable us
to do the impossible!
Praise You, Lord, that thru You we can have
victory in our lives
Praise You, God!

Friends,
I pray today that you begin, or continue, to bless all those you come in contact with!
Pray God’s priestly blessing over them!
Speak words of affirmation into them!
Use your “tongue” – your words – for good!
Make the choice to begin today to bless your enemies!
(this may result in them coming to know Christ –
because you have shown Him to them!)
WOW!

Blessings on you today!

Ruthie

For I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded
that he is able to keep that which
I have committed unto him against that day!
2 Timothy 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!