picture

picture

Monday, September 22, 2008

DIETING – UGH!


DIETING – UGH!

Please don’t stop reading just because you saw the word “diet”!!!

I know! It’s Monday!
Isn’t that the day that people choose to start their diets?
To turn over a new leaf regarding their food intake?

To some people “diet” is a four-letter word!
Never to be thought of or spoken!

Webster’s dictionary defines “diet” this way:
a particular selection of food, especially as prescribed
to cure a disease, to lose weight, etc.

Other sources define “diet” this way:
· A controlled regimen of food and drink
· An established habit or pattern of eating

I am not going to talk about food, or what we eat….
But I do want to think for a few minutes about our SPIRITUAL DIET

UHMMMMMM!
A Spiritual Diet, you say!
Have you ever thought about your Spiritual Diet?

Look back at the definitions of “diet” –
words that stand out to me are “habit, pattern, controlled regimen,
particular selection”.

Can you put these words into your “daily time with God; your devotional time?

At this moment in time I am not following any particular “food diet” –
I certainly have followed a lot of them over the years!

I can say, though, that I am following a regimen, a selection, a habit,
a pattern of feeding myself Spiritually!

My questions for you today are,
“What is your pattern, your habit, your regimen regarding
your daily time with God; do you have a Spiritual Diet that you follow?”

2) Blessed are they who keep his statutes
and seek him with all their heart.
9) How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
10) I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
11) I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
12) Praise be to you, O LORD;
teach me your decrees.
13) With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.
14) I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
15) I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.
16) I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.
Psalm 119:2, 9-16 (NIV)

A few years ago I read an article
(don’t recall the author or publication)
that spoke about a Christian’s Spiritual Diet,
using Psalm 119:1-16 as the guidelines to follow.
I want to share this with you today!

Verse 2 states that we will be blessed if we keep His statutes
and seek Him with all our heart!
Verse 9 states that our way will be kept pure if we live according to God’s Word.

Here is how we do that:
· Seek Him with all our heart - (v10)
· Hide His Word in our hearts - (v11)
· Speak aloud His decrees and His laws - (v13)
· Rejoice in following His statutes - (v14)
· Meditate on His precepts - (v15)
· Delight in, and not neglect his Word - (v16)

As you know, following a diet takes commitment, discipline, and continuity!
And so it is with our Spiritual Diets as well!

Reading the Word once in a while;
praying sporadically;
thanking Him in the good times only;
seeking Him only when a crisis arises ;
attending church once or twice on Sunday and
neglecting Him the rest of the week…
DO NOT keep us Spiritually Healthy!

We must be committed, and have an established pattern of time with HIM.
When we do this, and when we surrender that time to him;
when we seek Him with all our hearts we will find Him (Jer.29:13).
Praise God!

When we meditate on His Word, memorize it and put it in our hearts,
we will be able to fight the battle with the devil;
to stand up under the pressures of life.
Praise God!

His Word is a gift to us!
His laws and decrees are a gift to us!
His Son is a gift to us!
Praise God!

Friends,
My prayer for you today is that you will begin to follow a Spiritual Diet.
His Word says that you will be blessed by this!
If you already are following such a ‘diet’ I pray you will take it to a
deeper level than ever before!
Open yourself to Him in a way you’ve never done before – He will bless!
Seek Him and He will be found by you!

Love and Blessings on you today!

Resting in Him,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!