picture

picture

Friday, September 5, 2008

“Stillness”

Be still and know that I am God
Psalm 46:10

O Lord,
Create in me a “stillness” that I may continually sense your awesome presence in my life!

Create in me a “stillness” that I may commune with you Throughout my daily walk!

Create in me a “stillness” through which you are glorified daily!

Create in me a “stillness” that reflects your love to others!

O Lord,
Create in me a “stillness” of which you are the very center;

A “stillness” that fills my soul with peace and contentment –
No matter the circumstances I find myself in!
Thank you Lord for hearing my prayer!

What does it mean to be still?
We can stop all movement and physically be still – not in motion –
But our minds may be in a whirlwind of thoughts – on things we need to do; should do; could do; don’t want to do; things we may have said, that we shouldn’t have said; people we need to make amends to; the ‘what-ifs’ of the future; - on and on the list goes.

I believe that this stillness mentioned in Psalm 46 is a stillness that occurs in our hearts and our spirits ... not in our physical bodies.

A few years ago I read a small book ‘The Practice of the Presence of God’ that contained writings of a man named Brother Lawrence ... he was born in 1611 and died at the age of 80 in 1691.
Sometime during his middle years he entered a monastery – although we are told he was converted to Christianity at the age of 18.

Brother Lawrence was a cook in the monastery- Here are some words from him –
“I turn my little omelette in the pan for the love of God. When it is finished, if I have nothing to do, I prostrate myself on the ground and worship my God, who gave me the grace to make it,
after which I arise happier than a King.”

This brings to my mind
Colossians 3:17 –
“and whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Brother Lawrence also says – “whatever happens, I will do everything I do, for the rest of my life, out of love for God.”
May we, too, resolve this today!

Here are some words from Brother Lawrence that spoke to me many years ago – I pray they will resonate with you as well!

“We must prevent our mind wandering away, whatever be the occasion.
We must make of our heart a temple of the spirit, where we may worship Him continually.
We must set unbroken guard over ourselves, that we do nothing, say nothing, think nothing,
which could displease Him. I know that to reach this condition, it is very difficult at the start,
that one must act purely in faith. We know, too, that we can do all things with the grace of the Lord, and he does not refuse it to those who ask him urgently”.

I believe this is the STILLNESS that is required of us!

Dear friends,
May you KNOW that he is intimately present with you;
May you turn at every moment to Him;
May you recognize his will for you and do as he requires of you;
May you offer everything you do today to Him with thanksgiving;
May you begin to live in His Presence, with unbroken communication with Him, praising, worshipping and loving Him.

Have a blessed day!
Practice His Presence!

Resting in HIM today,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!