picture

picture

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

FEAR

Webster’s Dictionary defines fear as “a distressing emotion aroused by an impending pain, danger - real or imagined.”

Joyce Meyer defines fear as False Evidence Appearing Real.

Beth Moore says, “The last thing God wants for His children is a spirit of fear regarding the enemy.”

God’s Word says:
2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (KJV)

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power,
of love and of self-discipline (NIV)

When we are in a situation where the distressing emotion of fear is aroused we have an autonomic nervous system response that kicks in called the “fight or flight” response - this increases the amount of adrenalin produced in our body and prepares us do one of these 2 things – “fight or run”!

Examples:
You’ve heard of people lifting cars off another person; or facing down an opponent; or standing strong in the face of adversity.

Examples:
You’ve also heard of people escaping a threatening situation unharmed;
staying strong in the face of anger and being able to walk away without harm.

These are very real examples.
Reflect for a moment when you’ve experienced this “fight or flight” response in your own life.

The majority of the time when we are fearful it has to do with things that haven’t happened yet!
Events that might occur in the future!

Examples:
Getting on an airplane, having it go down, and not being able to escape from it.
Speaking to a large group of people and saying the wrong thing.
Preparing for a doctor’s appointment in which you know the news won’t be great but expecting the very worst.

Reflect for a moment on the things that cause you to be fearful...
Are they REAL or are they IMAGINED?

I had a great fear of flying. Afraid to be “closed in” on a plane and always the perceived
possibility of an accident!

Approximately 3 years ago we began to make plans to go on an Alaskan Cruise the following Spring - with an extended excursion into the Alaskan wilderness.
My biggest fear was of getting from home to Alaska ... how was I going to do that?

Well!
The only way was to fly, of course, and as it turned out we were going to have to take 3 flights before we reached our destination of Anchorage.

The closer our time came to leave, the more anxious I became.I just could not picture myself doing this without breaking down emotionally but I knew I had to!

You’re probably wondering where my trust was. If I trusted God in all things why was I so fearful? I remember Beth Moore saying one time, “Christ came to set the captive free. Satan comes to make the free captive.”

Think about that for a moment!
Well! He sure was doing that with me... to the point where I actually went to my doctor to get a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication “in case I needed it”. (Satan’s lie)
I packed it along with my other meds in my carry-on ... just so it would be handy!!!

The morning came for us to check in at the airport – earlier that morning I prayed and jouranled that I did not want to take any medication – I wanted to be fully present for this whole trip – as it was a dream come true and I didn’t want to miss anything!
And I asked for His strength.

We were in the airport – they weighed my carry-on and it was too heavy; my husband’s was underweight so we began to repack – Right there!
This was too exasperating for me so I said to the girl, “Never mind. Just check it.” And she tagged it and away it went!
PILLS AND ALL!!!

Do you ever wonder if God has a sense of humor? I’m sure He does!
I know He was saying to me, “Well, you said you wanted to experience it all! So! Here goes!”
Immediately a verse of Scripture – both in word and in music - filled my mind and I grabbed Kevin and told him what was going on and ran down the airport to find our friends so I could tell them!
What a laugh we had!

The Scripture He gave me was this:
“For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day!”
2Timothy 1:12

And what an awesome flight I had! 3 flights actually – then the return home!
[And then, to St. Louis the next fall!]

How amazing is our God! He totally took away my fear of flying!
But I had to get out of the way and let Him have control of the situation!

If we would only stop letting Satan keep us captive and let God free us ! We would not have that spirit of fear – we know it does not come from HIM! He gives the spirit of power and love and self-control! And – HE IS ABLE!
Praise His Name!

Will you let HIM do that today for you?
I pray you will! Give your fears over to HIM - He will fill you with His Spirit!

May you have a fearless day - resting in His strength and power!

For I KNOW whom I have believed!
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!