picture

picture

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Second Chance


A SECOND CHANCE

Do you give thanks to our God for your “Second Chance”?
For your 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances?

I wrote this poem called “A Second Chance”
in April of 1995.
We were in Clinical (hospital experience)
with students,
One gal had not shown up on time for clinical;
(repeatedly)
And if I remember correctly, she was on her third strike - meaning this was the time for her to seriously reconsider her educational path!

A SECOND CHANCE

“Please give me another chance,” she pleads
as tears fall from her eyes;
“Another chance to show that I can do it right.”

As she asks this I’m reminded in my heart
of what the Lord has done for me.
He’s given me a “second chance”,
and many more as well.

I see a picture of myself standing before Him;
repentant; crying;
asking for another chance.

He doesn’t think, “Should I or shouldn’t I?Does she really deserve another chance?”

And my heart nearly breaks.
He did, and He does,
give me so many chances!
Praise God for HIS mercy to me!

How can I not give this one a second chance
when I’ve been given so much more.

Thank You, Lord, for Your mercy and grace;
for wiping my slate clean
and letting me start anew;
for giving me a second chance.

And so we did – we gave her another chance!

I’ve been reading the Book of JONAH –
in the margin of my Bible I have written this:
“the Book of Second Chances”.

Jonah was reluctant to do as God asked him to do and he ran away from God rather than obey Him.
However, God gave him another chance to serve Him,
to be obedient…
“Then the Lord spoke to Jonah a second time”
[3:1]

What has He spoken to you about a ‘second time’;
maybe a ‘third time’ or ‘fourth time’?
Have you begged HIM for a ‘second’ chance?
Have you told HIM you just need another chance
to get it right?

I have!
I’ve even thought to myself at times,
“Why would He listen to me this time”…
BUT
Praise God,
He does!
He is so faithful!

The people of Nineveh turned from their wicked ways; and they believed God;
God saw this and He did not bring on them the disaster that He had planned for them…
He gave them a “second chance” –
(Jonah chapter 3)

He extended His grace and mercy to them!
Has He done this for you today?
Ask Him, turn way from sin,
His mercy will cover it all!
Praise God we serve a God of ‘second chances’!!!

May the knowledge that He is the God of “2nd chances”
Fill your thoughts and heart today –
May you know that He’s always waiting to forgive when
you call to Him for another chance.

This is Jonah speaking in Chapter 4:
That is why I fled to Tarshish,
for I knew that You are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and of great kindness,
and [when sinners turn to You and meet Your conditions] You revoke the [sentence] evil against them.
{Amplified Version}

Jonah knew his Lord…
I pray, that today, you too,
know the heart of God
and run towards Him, His love and mercy and grace!

May you have a blessed day acknowledging God
in all you do and in all that you are!

For I KNOW whom I have believed!
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!