This apple tree grows in our backyard. I’m sure it is many years old. As you can see it has blown over during one of the wind storms we had this past winter/spring.
My mind asks, “What keeps a tree from blowing over?”
The answer, “A strong, healthy root system.”
I have been doing some gardening as spring has arrived. Basically pulling weeds, getting rid of old “stuff”, transplanting and mulching. It seems that some of the prolific weeds have roots that go to the center of the earth! No wonder they keep growing and multiplying.
I am reminded of the ‘Parable of the Sower’ – Matthew 13: 1-9... [you might want to spend some time here today]
in verse 8 Jesus says – “Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop – a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”
We know that the root system is the channel through which a plant /tree gets nourishment... and when the roots are big and strong they keep the plant/tree secure in the ground. The roots receive their nourishment from the surrounding soil – when the soil is healthy the roots get lots of nourishment. In order for the seed that fell on good soil to produce such a crop the roots had to grow and provide lots of nourishment.
I pose these questions to you:
· How healthy are your roots? Your spiritual roots?
· How much nourishment do they get from the soil you are in?
· Are you connected in healthy Christian relationships?
· Do you attend a healthy Gospel-preaching church?
· Do you practice the Spiritual Disciplines of prayer, fasting, memorization, meditation, confession, service?
· Are your roots healthy and strong enough to keep you standing firm in the middle of a storm?
I pray that each one reading this today has their roots established deep in You! I pray the Holy Spirit will show them where they need to make some changes if that is the case; and that they would allow You to do the work!
Thank you, Lord!
Blessings on you all today!
May this day be one of nurturing and growth for each one!
Resting in HIM