picture

picture

Monday, August 3, 2009

“A Peculiar People”

This is what Webster’s dictionary gives for the definition of “Peculiar”...
- to be distinguished in character or nature from others;
- belonging exclusively to some person, group or thing;
- distinctly strange or unusual

Now – I must tell you that when I hear the word “peculiar” I’ve always thought of it meaning “being a little strange or odd ... being different in one’s thinking or behaving” ... and I guess I would have to say that means “being distinguished in character or nature from others”...

As I write this I’m taken back to the days when I was “in training” (Nurse’s Training from 1967 -1970) ... I had 3 classmates in particular who definitely were “peculiar”... because of their faith! They went to church every Sunday; they never said anything unkind about anyone; they lived what they believed; they were the “good girls”; and I wanted to be like them.
They definitely fit this definition “belonging exclusively to some person, group or thing” ... they belonged to Jesus Christ.

Over the years I have met some “peculiar people” – another person stands out to me – she was instrumental in showing me what daily living for Christ looked like!
Her non-verbal spoke volumes to me... In those days a bunch of us did a lot of travelling and camping together - she didn’t criticize when the guys would start to tell an off-color joke – she would get up and wander down the road or head for her tent. I didn’t like the jokes anymore than she did but I didn’t know what to do then... she always bowed her head and silently said grace before every meal ... and so much more – but I watched her b/c she was “peculiar”!

How thankful I am that God placed her in my life when He did! Just another instance of how He works in the unsaved and leads them to Himself! What an awesome God we serve!

Titus 2:13-14 - KJV
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Verse 14 – NIV
Who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good

1 Peter 2:9 – KJV
But ye are a chosen generation , a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Verse 9 – NIV
“a people belonging to God”

Uhmmmmmm.

My prayer today is that people will see that I – that those of us who belong to Christ – are a “peculiar people”; that I (we) are strange and/or unusual; that I (we) are distinguished in character from others; that I (we) belong to God; that I (we) are eager to do good works; that I (we) praise Him in everything.

Father, Thank you for redeeming me from the darkness and bringing me into your Light... may my life be a reflection of You and Your Saving Grace!

Blessings on you today dear friends!

1 comment:

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!