picture

picture

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

And The Rooster Crowed

On one fine morning just recently I went outside to fill up the bird feeder...
We have some laying hens down back with one rooster in the pen with them!
On this particular morning he was crowing very heartily!
Now, you may think this silly, but one of the things I love about a farm is hearing a rooster crow!
When I heard him crowing that day my mind immediately went to Peter and the words of Jesus to him:
Luke 22:34
But Jesus said, “Peter, let me tell you something. Between now and tomorrow morning when the rooster crows, you will deny me three times, declaring that you don’t even know me.”

Just prior to that Jesus had said to Peter:
“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to have you, to sift you like wheat, but I have pleaded in prayer for you that your faith should not completely fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen and build up the faith of your brothers.”
Luke 22:31-32

Peter responded to this with a comment that that would never happen! Then the Lord told him of his denial....

Shortly after this Jesus went to the Mount of Olives – accompanied by his disciples... telling them to pray that they would not be overcome by temptation. Jesus prayed and after a period of time went to the disciples only to find them asleep.

Think about this:
· Peter was full of pride when he boasted that he would never deny his Lord.
· He didn’t listen to the warnings of Jesus – he fell asleep instead of spending time on the Mount in prayer

Are we like him?
Oh my!
I sure have had times like this!
Pride begins to creep in, Satan finds a crack to get in through, and I end up “falling”...
just like Peter.

Please read the remainder of Luke 22.
In verses 57, 58, 60 Peter denied Jesus 3 times!
And the rooster crowed!

Verse 61 states:
At that very moment Jesus turned and looked at Peter.
Then Peter remembered what he had said – “Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny me three times.”

V. 62 –
And Peter walked out of the courtyard, crying bitterly.

My heart is saddened; my eyes fill with tears; as I think of how he must have felt!
So prideful one moment – so defeated the next!
Knowing that Jesus words were truth ; Knowing that he had fallen; That he had failed.

Can you imagine having Jesus turn and look at you at a time such as this?
I KNOW His look wasn’t one of “See. I told you so.”
It was probably one of “Oh Peter, my Brother. I love you so.”

Have you ever cried bitterly when you have failed your Lord?
I have!
I sure can relate to Peter...
There have been times when I’ve not taken a God-given opportunity to share my faith;
when I’ve said words that should not have been spoken or thought thoughts that should not be thought!

Peter’s fall did not last long... As soon as he recalled Jesus’ words he cried bitterly... a sign of a remorseful heart; of a broken heart.

I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit’s prompting in my life – making me immediately aware of times when I’ve failed.

Dear friends,
I pray for you today –
for God’s presence to fill you, your home, workplace...
wherever you might be.
May His Words fill your mind –
May His Joy be in your heart –
May His Peace be in your soul!
Blessings,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!