picture

picture

Friday, April 3, 2009

MOTIVATION

“People say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.”
Zig Ziglar

I lift up my eyes to the hills-
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
Maker of heaven and earth
Psalm 121:1-2

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:13

What does it mean to be motivated?
It means to be prompted towards action – To have an inner urge –

Where does motivation come from?
Writers tell us that it comes from outside – external motivation; or from inside – internal motivation.

Examples of External:
· Doctor tells you to change your diet as you have high cholesterol...
· Parent says you can’t have the car for a month unless you bring your marks up to .....
· You get a ticket for not having your seat belt on...
I’m sure you can think of others...

Will these work?
Maybe! Maybe not!
Depends on whether you see the need to act or not!
· If you want to be healthier then you will change your diet.
· If you want the car bad enough you’ll study harder, bring those marks up.
· If you don’t want another ticket you’ll learn to put on your seatbelt even though you may not agree with the law.

Basically Internal motivation is making a decision to do something and then following thru with it
· Sticking to a new eating plan b/c you know that’s best for your health
· Studying harder b/c you want the satisfaction of knowing you did your best
· Deciding to follow the laws of the land ... re. speeding,
seat belts, cell usage etc.

I heard some wise words the other day from our Pastor – He stated that “If you wait to be motivated to do something, you may never do it.” A light bulb went off in my head !

WAIT??

For motivation??
Doesn’t it either come or not come?
Am I waiting?
Oh Yah!
The thing that I’m waiting to be motivated about is “walking” - I used to walk almost everyday...
Now – well...
I’m still waiting for the motivation to come back!
HA! :)

Pastor also stated, “The idea of motivation is a trap – just do it.” Another light bulb!

Yes! A trap from the sly, evil one – who likes to keep us in bondage to our old ways, our old thinking – and doesn’t want to see us moving forward. As long as I wait to be motivated to walk – I’m not walking!!!! Which is something I need to start doing! Either on my treadmill or outside!
So the NIKE slogan is correct – “JUST DO IT”
Even when I don’t “FEEL” like doing it, I need to do it!

What are you waiting to be motivated to do?
· An exercise plan
· A better eating plan
· Working on your marriage
· Forgiving someone
· Volunteering
· ______________ (you fill in the blank)

Don’t wait any longer! Just do it!
And KNOW that God will give you the strength to do the right thing... He is our motivation – our motivator... Let HIM work in you today!

I pray these words will bless you today!
Resting in HIM,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!