picture

picture

Thursday, April 9, 2009

WHY?

I am often asked the “WHY” question:
“Why does someone who said they loved the LORD turn their back on Him and walk away from everything?”
“Why does ___________ not love me anymore? Am I not lovable?”
“Why doesn’t God take hold of my spouse, my children, and shake them up?”
“Why is there so much distress in my life?”
“Why can’t I seem to get it together and move on?”
“Why am I failing as a parent? as a spouse? as a friend? as a child?”
“Why does my partner yell and throw things?”
Why are we so financially strapped?”
“Why did God allow this to happen to me?”

The only answer I can give is that we live in a fallen world – one filled with sin... that we have been given a free will to make choices; we have made many “Wrong Choices”...

Reminds me of this verse in James:
Remember, too, that knowing what is right to do and then not doing it is sin.

James 4:17
It is all about choices – not feelings!
Our choices are never the fault of someone else! We have to take responsibility for the consequences of our own choices. And even though we may be living with the consequences of someone else’s choices we are not responsible for those choices!

Please hear that again!
You are not responsible for the choices someone else has made – even though you may have to live with the consequences of that choice!

Rather than ask ourselves and others the “Why” question, we would be better off saying:
“OK Lord. Here is where I find myself. What do You want me to do now? What are you trying to teach me in this?”

Change the WHY to a WHAT...

James 1:5
If you want to now what God wants you to do, ask him, and he will gladly tell you,
for he is always ready to give a bountiful supply of wisdom to all who ask him; he will not resent it.

I know how easy it is to get caught up in the why questions... but they don’t take us anywhere...
if anything – they lead us straight into a “pity-party” mode which Satan just loves.

Earlier in chapter 1 of James- verses 2-4 he says this:
Dear brothers, is your life full of difficulties and temptations?
Then be happy, for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow. So let it grow, and don’t try to squirm out of your problems. For when your patience is finally in full bloom,
then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete.

Oh! How I desire to be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete!
Don’t you?

Dear friends,
If you tend to ask “WHY”, I pray you will begin to change that today! Change that to seeking God’s will – asking Him WHAT – Many Scriptures tell us that He imparts wisdom to those who seek it! Become a “Wisdom-Seeker”!

Blessings on you today as you seek HIM in your life!
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!