picture

picture

Monday, January 19, 2009

FOOD!

You’re probably thinking....where is she going from here?
I was thinking this morning about my eating habits... as I do quite often! I go through times of eating very healthily and then – I get swayed (by my own self, because no one else is responsible for it!) into the “quick and easy” mode; or the “junk” mode; or the “well, what does it matter anyway” mode; or “everyone else can eat that so why can’t I” mode; or “the family is home so we have to eat well!” mode; or “it’s __________ (you name the event or holiday) and, well I can’t diet now!” mode.
I’ve met with every one of these at some point in time!
Do you see yourself in any of these modes?
I hope I’m not the only one who’s ever been there!

As a lot of you are aware, hubby raises free-range poultry and eggs, and grass-fed cattle. He has an abattoir (fancy name for slaughter facility) - provincially inspected – where he processes the poultry.
Over the past few years I have become accustomed to eating free-range poultry and find it difficult to eat the “other stuff”. Why am I telling you all this?
Please bear with me!

I am involved with hubby in the Farmer’s Market movement in our community – and I help him in the “shop” aspect of the abattoir –
Currently, I sit on a committee through the Dept. of Public Health that is looking at reaching the community to make us all more aware of our Food Systems.
Just yesterday I began to read a book entitled ...
“IN DEFENSE OF FOOD” by Michael Pollan.

The first sentence in the book is this –
“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
Uhmmmmmmmm.
Makes sense to me – how about you?
Immediately I thought about God’s instructions re. food in His Word.
He gave many directions, laws, etc. re. food and what was allowable and what wasn’t....
I will give just a few of the Scriptures...
Genesis 1:29-30
Leviticus 11
Deuteronomy 14:1-21

Even more than the foods we feed our physical bodies I reflected on our Spiritual food.
Do you feast on His Word?
Do you deny yourself that fat-filled dessert and fill up on Praise and Worship music?
When you are anxious do you reach for that bag of Ruffles or do you fall to your knees and seek Him in prayer?
When “life” doesn’t go as you have planned do you call a friend to go to lunch or do you call a friend for a “heart-to-heart”?
When it seems like there’s a “test” everyday – what do you feed yourself with?
Physical food or Spiritual food?

I’m the last person to talk to you about a physical diet – I have not succeeded in reaching a healthy state for a long time... however, I continue to work on it!
I refuse to give up and let it all go!
I won’t give the enemy the satisfaction of saying,
“See? I told you you couldn’t do it.”
I am trying to make simple adjustments in my food intake, and to increase my exercise...

I pray that you will consider both your physical and spiritual diets... God wants us to be healthy in all aspects of our lives.
We can’t be and do for Him if we’re physically unhealthy and spiritually healthy...
(is that state possible?)
Nor can we, if we are physically healthy and spiritually unhealthy.
(this state is possible)

I hope I have raised more questions for you today than anything else!
Consider your health – physical and spiritual!
Do an honest evaluation of both ... Then choose to allow Him to change you!
Wherever those changes need to occur!
You are a precious child of the King and He wants nothing but the best for you!

Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Blessings on you this day!
Resting in Him,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!