picture

picture

Friday, January 9, 2009

Iron Deficiency

In the late summer of 2008 I was diagnosed with Iron and B12 deficiencies!
For months I had been feeling very tired, napping in the afternoon - (that’s just not me!) -
had no energy, lots of aches and pains etc, etc. I kept thinking this would pass – I didn’t look after myself as I should have... Finally I went to the doctor and... Am now on medication to correct both of these issues!

I began to think about how we (I) get Spiritually depleted or deficient!
We put others needs and other things before our relationship with God... And our relationship with HIM gets neglected.
When this happens we become deficient in all the Spiritual nutrients we require to stay strong and firm in our walk!

We KNOW we should be reading the Word, Praying, having Quiet Times, Listening for His voice – but for some reason we always seem to put everything else first.
Then we wonder why our lives are not what they could be; why we feel empty, why we have no energy to go on another day!

I frequently counsel with Christians who are having relationship difficulties; feeling drained of all energy; have a “negative” outlook on life; describe themselves as being cranky, critical, impatient... and so on.

One question I always ask, in one way or another, is about their Spiritual Life!
Invariably they will tell me, “Well, I know I should be reading the Bible but I don’t have time in the morning and I’m too tired at night.”
Or –
“My prayer life is not what it should be. I don’t have time to spend long periods of time in prayer so I don’t do it at all, or I just send up SOS prayers.”
Or –
“Are you kidding? Quiet time? I have children, a job, a husband, housework...”

Do you see yourself, either in the past or right now, in these scenarios?
I have been there, believe me!
However, I have learned that unless I spend time with HIM,
I am no good to myself or anyone else!
I remember reading a book a long time ago entitled “Too Busy NOT To Pray”...
I believe that if that philosophy became our way of life we’d be much healthier spiritually!

I book all sorts of appointments: lunches with friends, counseling sessions, Stampin’ Up! Events, Bible Studies, hair appointment, and so on.... But do I book time with God?

When I ask people that question they often respond with “Well, I shouldn’t have to do that. It should be a given and it should just happen.”
There’s that word ‘should’ - :(

Well, friends – for most of us that is not the way it works... we have to take charge and plan specific times alone with God! We need a regular place where that occurs. When Hubby and I were first married we lived in a house that had a medium sized closet off the family room that was just a ‘catch-all’ for everything. We de-cluttered it, put a small desk in it, and it became his ‘prayer closet’ where he spent time everyday!

God never gets weary; He’s always present; He will enable us to do what we need to do; and when we rest in Him we will be able to stand strong!

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
And his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31

Dearest Friends,
My wish – my hope – my prayer – for you as you enter this New Year is that you will MAKE time for God in the midst of the busy-ness of life. He will be your Strength and your Rest – if you allow Him to be!
Blessings on you today!

Resting in HIM,
Ruthie

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed,
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!