picture

picture

Monday, January 12, 2009

OFFENSE vs GRACE

To “take offense” means to experience a feeling of resentment or anger.
Have you ever taken offense at something?
words spoken to you or an action towards you?
Well, I know I certainly have.
Just recently someone (not hubby!) said something to me that really threw me for a loop –
shocked me and cut at my soul like a knife!
I was Devastated! Hurt! Angry!

I responded to the words with shock; I know my voice raised a few octaves; and of course, in my “pain” I cried! I was hurt! This person whom I thought cared about me – hurt me!
For a few moments it was all about me!
Ever been there?

In the past I would have taken these words and let them dictate to my heart a sense of identity.
Not anymore!
I would have dwelt on them and doubted myself; doubted God.

I am so thankful that God spoke to me very soon afterwards... I had just left a church service where the Pastor had spoken to us about our hearts.
He used 1 Samuel 16:7 as his main reference for his morning message.
But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height,
for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at.
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”

At the end of the message he asked us to write down a resolution regarding what we were going to do about our hearts this year!
Here is what I wrote:

“I will make Psalm 139: 23-24 my daily prayer AND I will take time to listen
for HIS voice speaking to me.”

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

Within minutes of this situation occurring I could hear God speaking to my heart:
· Dear one, I’m speaking to you – please listen to me.
· Are you going to be angry or will you extend grace to this one?
· You know you have to forgive her, how long will you take to do that?
· To remain offended is a choice!
· To forgive her is a choice.
· Which will you choose?
· Remember – “hurting people hurt people.”
· Remember – “You are who I say you are!”

Thankfully – I was alone at home that afternoon – I spent the next 2 hours crying out to God, pouring my heart out to Him, telling Satan to get away from me (he was not going to have me this time - or any time!);
evaluating my responsibility in this situation;
asking God to fill me with His forgiveness, to give me forgiveness in my heart even though I still felt the pain of the words.

I KNEW I could not do the things I do for HIM; or be the woman He’s called me to be if I held on to resentment, bitterness and anger;
or if I did not acknowledge my part in all this!

Hallelujah!
Praise God!
Over the next 24 hours God worked a healing in my heart!
I Praise HIM for His GRACE....
Unmerited favor –
To me and to the other person –
He sees us both the same!
His Word about her identity applies to her as much as it does me!
Praise You, LORD!
I so desire to see her with His eyes!

1 Corinthians 10:32a
Give no offense

Philippians 1:9-10
And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and in discernment,
that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ ...

Dear Friends,
We are called to not give offense to others; to be wise and discerning;
to be sincere and without offense.... to forgive – to take on the attitude of Christ!
May you choose to live this way – to please our Lord – if you’re finding it hard He will give you the grace and the strength required to be like Him.
Thank you, Jesus!

Father God,
Help us to be people who are instruments of Your love and grace – not tools of the devil!
May we look at people and try to see the reason behind the behaviour – may we be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to become angry.
Father, give us Your eyes!
Your heart!
I praise You and I thank You!
In Jesus name, Amen

Have a blessed day!
In Him,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how this post was encouraging to you! Please be nice!